Monday, April 04, 2011

First Joomla Site - Urasenke Birmingham

Working on my first Joomla template site for the Urasenke Tea Ceremony group here in Birmingham.

Their current site: http://urasenkebirmingham.org/
My (under construction) Joomla site: http://urasenke.katmcgo.com/

I still have a lot of variables to style and things to do, but the basics are all up at least. And I learned something interesting about cPanel (WISH I HAD KNOWN THIS AGES AGO): It seems it will not just extract any archived file you throw its way; it has to be a tar.gz file. The compression can be preformed in Terminal (on OS X).


I'm finding that I care a bit less about how IE 6 views my pages these days. If I close my eyes and pretend it's not there, will people stop using it? Unfortunately, the answer is NO, but as long as elements break down gracefully, and the page is fully functional (and not terribly ugly), I'm cool with some small variations. That being said, I still need to put this site through its paces with some IE rules, unfortunately. And some lame IE 6 gifs to replace the pngs. Even something this simple...

Update! The IE tweaks went very smoothly, and not much needed to be done. Just some simple fixes (swapping out "outline" for the deprecated "border" tag; swapping out 2 PNGs for GIFs, etc.). Instead of using separate stylesheets for this meager code, as I have done in the past, I am now using the conditional "body" method:

  • <!--[if lt IE 7 ]> <body class="ie6"> <![endif]-->

  • <!--[if IE 7 ]> <body class="ie7"> <![endif]-->

  • <!--[if IE 8 ]> <body class="ie8"> <![endif]-->

  • <!--[if IE 9 ]> <body class="ie9"> <![endif]-->

  • <!--[if (gt IE 9)|!(IE)]><!--> body <!--<![endif]-->

You can read more about this method here: http://davidbcalhoun.com/tag/ie-hack

No comments: