Saturday, August 20, 2011

Big Changes Afoot

Well, I've had a big life-change recently: New job, new position. Instead of all-purpose head of an art department, I am now a web developer (YAY!) at a creative agency. I am EXTREMELY excited to be coding and scripting and also playing ping pong during the day.

But that means these will be my last screen-printing design images (unless I get some t-shirt design work while freelancing).

First up, an update of that "King" shirt. Printed in gold metallic ink, it showed me that halftones can actually be quite excellent, when used in small areas for shading.

I think this is the first time I've seen everyone at the office like, wow, cool halftone! instead of sad groans. Also, look at the great detail our screen-printer was able to hold!

Second-up, my last 2 designs from my old job:

It seemed like there were more creative jobs than usual right at the end (as opposed to just "put my logo on X product").

So third: FREELANCE. I have been up to my ears in freelance work. I have a 3-site project for a legal client going on now and other jobs lined up through to November. The wonderful thing is that now my work and my freelance are complementing each other, and I am learning more about web development than ever before. HTML5, CSS3, WAI-ARAI, etc. And I am DYING to work on that placeholder portfolio site I have right now. Weekend project: Joomla 1.6 from-scratch template.

Fourth, and final: I have resumed my Japanese kanji studies with a passion, and I've finally hit the 1000 mark! Soo... only 1000 more until I know most of the common ones...? ^_^;;

On that note, I thought I would kick off a series of travelogues from our trip to Japan... yeah, the ones I promised a couple YEARS ago... sorry about that.

No comments: