Sunday, August 21, 2011

Now Launching: Kani Web

Well, I took it upon myself this weekend to work like a madwoman and create a new site and brand. I dub thee: KaniWeb!


I mean, what else am I going to do with my weekend? RELAX? Pfft.

This is my first HTML5 site with some CSS3 goodies thrown in. I still have a lot of things I need/want to do with it, but at least the bare bones site is now live -- after 1.5 days' work! I feel like I am getting pretty quick. :)

I chose the name "Kani" after much deliberation. My name is LONG [see: current name of this blog], so it's hard to make a brand of it. My name by itself doesn't really convey a theme to build a site around. So I started taking two letters from my first and last name, seeing what I could get; "Kani" ("crab" in Japanese) seemed like it had potential for some cuteness. So now I have a cute little mascot, woohoo! Also important - I don't see any other web designers with this name. So yay!

Next steps:
  • IE7 debugging - looks like 100% crap in this browser. sigh.
  • IE6 debugging... maybe? Is it still worth supporting this browser...? I mean, when Microsoft itself makes a "Death to IE6" page... I'll probably just have a script that tells people to get with the program and d/l a new browser
  • favicon - the cherry on top
  • Possible CSS3 parallax background animation - maybe some moving seaweed at the bottom?
  • Install a lightbox for portfolio items
  • Do a hard launch of the Facebook page
  • Maybe make a KaniWeb linked in profile?
  • Do something cool with my boring footer
  • Style this blog to match the new site :)
  • Get a more descriptive domain

No comments: