Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Quick Updates

I think the recent storms have really slowed me down. If this isn't the time for reflection, I'm not sure what would be. Haven't done much freelance lately, but there is a project in the works to help Pratt City recover from the devastation. Just one leveled apartment complex displaced 100 families. ONE COMPLEX. When you think about how widespread the destruction was, how many buildings are gone or uninhabitable... well, it's staggering. Hopefully this project will get underway, and I'll be doing the art and flyers to help get the word out. VERY FORTUNATELY, all my friends in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham proper are safe... but there are so many terrible stories of loss. If you are able to give of your time as a volunteer; of resources like food, water, clothes, etc; of just plain cash; or even of reblogging/sharing ways to help, I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated by the people who are just now beginning the long and arduous journey of rebuilding their lives. A few ways you can help:

• Donate to the American Red Cross (american.redcross.org or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10)... I'd link directly to their donation page, but their non-SEF URLs make my head hurt.
• Sign up with Hands On Birmingham to volunteer your time for disaster relief effors (handsonbirmingham.org)
• Drop off non-perishable items at any of a myriad of locations
• Call 211 (if you are in Alabama) -- it is the volunteer/donations hotline.


Below is the application of my earlier popcorn sketches. This is being imprinted on giveaway popcorn bags, so I think it will be pretty cute. And yes, I used Freeport... it just seemed perfect for this even though I am seeing it everywhere nowadays...

No comments: